Caroline Shipsey
Photography

Wednesday 30 March 2011

Forum Fever

I don't belong to many forums, they can be great sources of help, information and advice or they can be time wasting, or they can get nasty.

Such is the case with a private forum that I belong to - why write about it here then? Well, this is my blog and I can express my feelings here, after all I'm just talking to myself.

There are always people who are regarded as being superior because of the number and content of their posts. Then there are the ones who write 100 words when 20 would suffice, the pompous ones, full of themselves who just have to keep on and on making the same point - their point of view, in case we forget who they are.

It's all too easy to overstep the mark when correcting a statement, demanding justification of facts etc, banging on and about how this or that is wrong. Too easy to forget there is a real person on the receiving end. Of course we can never know what is going on in another persons life, and that is why I believe we should always write with courtesy and consideration.

I don't want to be part of a community that reduces a lady to tears, who says she wants to die because of how she has been treated, especially when this lady is struggling at home with a loved one who is very ill.

Of course the perpetrators of the unpleasantness are only a tiny part of said forum but they make a big noise, some are moderators. It's a 'no win' situation, shut up and put up etc and nothing I can say or do will make any difference, but at least I've got it off my chest.