Caroline Shipsey
Photography

Monday 11 June 2012

Swans of Wells - Save Our Swans

Since I last wrote, my fears about damage to the Swans of Wells exhibits have sadly been realised. The vandalism that I've observed wasn't being inflicted by teenagers but by children accompanied by their parents.

After speaking to one father it seems that the attitude is one of 'Well if My kids see others climbing all over the swans, they want to do it, and why should I stop them? '
I pleaded with him that the children could damage and devalue the swans, which have been sponsored (paid for!) by local individuals and businesses, and will be auctioned for local charities. His response - the swans are 'too child friendly' and should have been mad stronger and more child resistant! Oh and that the stone plinths should have rounded edges and so less potentially dangerous to children.

children climbing on swans of wells

The most vulnerable swans are those in the Market place and around the Bishop's Palace and Moat. Unless they are protected in some way then come the summer holidays one can only imagine the extent of damage they'll suffer.

I'm so disappointed that some parents apparently believe that if something is in a public area it's fair game for using as playground equipment.

decorated swan art piece

In fairness, this child was actually being very careful!