Caroline Shipsey
Photography

Tuesday 5 June 2012

A Diamond Weekend

The Jubilee celebrations are now over and despite the weather it's been a memorable four days.
It would have been amazing to be in London to see the River Pageant, Concert and the open carriage ride back to Buckingham Palace, along with about a million other people. TV coverage has been superb though, and thoroughly recreated the wonderful atmosphere for us at home.

This was my third Jubilee - in 1977 I remember going to Pen Hill when the beacon was lit. there were hundreds of people there and we sang Rule Britania and Land of Hope and Glory.

In 2002 I was living on Skye, saw the Queen when she came to Portree and cried buckets while watching the TV coverage - I was so homesick!

2012 - Wow! I just wanted to soak up every bit of the pageantry, music, colour, history - it has been a brilliant celebration that even pouring rain couldn't spoil. Our Queen has reigned for 60 years and at 86 is an amazing lady. She has such a beautiful smile and looks so smart and elegant, it's difficult not to feel affection and respect for her.

It's been a really great weekend that I'll remember for a long, long time.