Caroline Shipsey
Photography

Sunday 27 May 2012

Bessie - One Year On

It was on a beautiful sunny day, just like today, exactly a year ago, that I said goodbye to my dear sweet Bessie.

She stepped into the gap left by Fly and became the best companion I could have hoped for - my soul mate, my travelling companion, my photography buddy. Her comical expression, the look she would give me that said 'What now Mum?', where are we going? Despite her age she still had enthusiasm for life. Putting on my knickers or socks was always enough to get her bouncing and wiggling with enthusiasm for the first walk of the day. At least now I can think of her and smile even though I'll always be sad she's not here with me.

My life was blessed for almost 17 years by two collies from Exmoor, sisters, a litter apart - Fly and Bessie. Miss you both so much, especially Bessie today, you'll be in my heart forever.

22nd March - This was taken about 3 years ago, and I'm including it because I don't want to dwell completely on what is happening now.Bessie loves to make 'nests' outside to sleep in and can hide herself away completely, not responding to any amount of calling!  This was taken on the towpath of the Kennet and Avon canal. She looks so serene to me, and so pretty.Notice her ears, how softly turned over they are now?  Since she has become almost totally deaf they never lie like this anymore - as though she is always straining to hear just a little sound.