Caroline Shipsey
Photography

Monday 2 July 2007

Crop Circles - Cosmic or What ?

I had no idea that one of our favorite mooring places on the Kennet and Avon Canal was close to an area renowned for the appearance of crop circles, it is however, something that I've always had a slight interest in, but have never been motivated enough to go and explore.

On June 29th a new circle was reported at Golden Ball Hill, Alton Barnes, which is within walking distance of the canal so I was quite excited at the prospect of seeing for myself an example of this phenomena, and of course photographing it.

There is a vast amount of information on the internet about crop circles - on the one hand there are those who believe they are created by some devious humans, mysterious forces of nature or even aliens. This is as good a starting point as any. I have to say I'm no wiser, and have no opinion about this since seeing the crop circle from Golden Ball Hill, or from having walked in the one at West Kennet Long Barrow, in the company of about 20 American and Japanese tourists. I had been warned that my mobile phone might stop working or that if my camera was digital it too my develop a mind of its own rather than be in my control.

Anyway, the weather was beautiful and the light very clear giving the best views of the surrounding countryside that I have seen so far, so I made the most of it. The climb up the hill pushing the dog buggy with Fly in it AND walking into the wind was pretty exhausting but well worth the effort.





From the top of the hill I could look straight down onto the crop circle which made it worth the climb. There were a few other people around marveling at the circle and discuss the meaning of it, life and so on. Apart from feeling wobbly at the knees, which was probably due to the exertion of the climb, I cant say that I felt anything unusual, though I was certainly impressed by the intricacy of this formation in a corn field and left wondering .......



Cropcircleconnector.com used one of my images of the circle, and Iwas amazed to see the 3rd picture from the top - its me! and the dogs, sitting, looking down on the circle.


This final picture show the detail of the circle, however, I've since learned that the really interesting detail is only to be found on the ground within the circle - the way the corn is laid, for example. I'm hoping that there will be another circle to look at next time I go the the boat, preferably not at the bottom of a steep hill.

No comments: