Caroline Shipsey
Photography

Monday 23 August 2010

Feels Like Autumn Already

Almost 2 months since I last wrote here, the longer the gap the harder it is to write and also to get into the routine of taking photos and writing.

It feels like summer has passed me by, important markers in my photography calendar have nothing to show this year. I didn't even take a camera to Sidmouth Folk Festival and was totally uninspired by Priddy Fair this year.

It was sickening to see the number of tiny puppies being offered for sale by Travelers in the Horse Field. One lorry had crates stacked up with all sorts of different puppies and on the ground there were about 8 poor little things without their eyes open yet and no mum. Despite the presence of the RSPCA, DEFRA and Trading Standards there is nothing they can to do protect the puppies - at best these people hide them away. There were also cockerels in a cage - I don't even want to think about what they do with them, it's certainly not to show what wonderful specimens they are.

I don't know whether I was particularly influenced by this but the whole event felt very flat to me. The organizing committee have done a great job of reducing the appeal to the Traveling community but the horse traders come in greater numbers it seems, just for the day now.

I've been pre-occupied with looking after the old dogs, especially Bessie - they take up as much time as puppies but in different ways. Whatever Dusty may have lost in terms of hearing and vision her nose makes up for it. Hardly a day goes by that she doesn't do something naughty - super snitch can find anything edible at 100 yards!