Caroline Shipsey
Photography

Friday 24 July 2009

SpeedChoice

When I was caught traveling at 36mph in a 30 zone a couple of months ago I was annoyed - that I had been caught, and more that I was stupid enough to drive above the speed limit when I was well aware of it.

I had the choice of accepting 3 points on my licence and the consequences of this - higher insurance premium etc or attending a SpeedChoice workshop, Still have to pay the fine either way. I jumped at the workshop opportunity and yesterday was my appointed day for attending.

There were about 20 of us in the group and every single person left saying how much they had learned, that we would all change our attitude to speeding and the way we drive in restricted areas, and surprisingly, how much we had enjoyed the workshop. If this was compulsory for all drivers I'm sure it would be a huge benefit to road safety in general.

Decided to do a bit of exploring on the way home from Taunton so diverted to the Bridgwater Canal. One stretch of canal looks much like any other to me, this canal is landlocked so there are few boats to stir up the murky waters and the traffic noise from the nearby M5 was very intrusive.